Andrea Hackl is a choreographer, performer & video artist, based in Amsterdam. As independent artist, she’s been working and touring internationally with her own choreographic work as well as in the performances of other companies and choreographers.
Her performative as well as visual work is, foremost, a celebration of life. She cherishes the poetry within the physicality of the human body. Her artistic practice is inspired by cross-pollination, the alchemy of interdisciplinary work. Her understanding of dance & movement got formed and enriched by conventional techniques as much as somatic and sensorial work.
She has danced with companies & choreographers like Jasper van Luijk/SHIFFT (@Korzo Productions), Cascade Dance Theater, Emanuel Gat Dance, United C, Suzy Blok and toured major venues and festivals worldwide. Her own work has been presented internationally, in Europe/Scandinavia, North/Central America, S/E Asia & India.
Andrea Hackl is an award winning film maker and has produced dance films that were presented in festivals world wide. Her last work Silent Fragments has won two awards recently: for Best Film [Cinedanza Festival, Modena Italy] and Best Choreography [InShadow Festival, Lisbon Portugal].
She’s been exploring projections and the medium of video installation in her choreographic work. Regarding both, her performances as well as work as video artist, the visual composition is an essential aspect for her to explore and work with.
MOUNTAINS AND THE OUTDOORS
Being an athlete, an outdoor as well as mountain lover and deeply inspired by nature, textures and the sensorial, she’s searching for new ways to combine her biggest passions: Nature, film and visual work as well as the primal and poetic power of dance and the human body.
With OF RAVENS AND GODS, her main project of last year, she’s sharing a work that is a first step to answer this calling.
-> stay tuned and follow on Instagram
-> stay connected via Facebook
– PRIMORDIAL ANATOMY – somatic / visual project and investigation in the theme of water
– BLACK ASH revisited, dance production
– PEARL ARTIST PRICE at POOL 21 festival Berlin
– collaboration with Antoine Viard, performances with Collectif COAX, Paris Fr
– ongoing presentations of OF RAVENS AND GODS @ TwentyOne Gallery (London)
+ BLACK BOX GENESIS ART SPACE (Finland) + featured in Dans Magazine (May)
– OF RAVENS AND GOODS, dance film and multimedia project in frame of 3 solo long distance
treks into Jura mountains, around the Montblanc massif and across the Pyrenees.
– collaboration with Hernán Samá [saxophon] and other Amsterdam based performers
-> presentation in frame of the live streamed performance series
Boiler Room Sessions, hosted by Iris van Peppen
– OF RAVENS AND GODS, dance film project [NL, FR, ESP, CH]
– RECLAIMING THE FUTURE | GUERILLA DANCE in response to the pandemic
–> danced love declarations across the city of Amsterdam.
– CROSSING WAVES collaboration with Antoine Viard (music), Paris
– VOICE new research project on womanhood & bodymemory, residency at Schloss Broellin
2018 – DEPTH OF SHADOW | SILENT FRAGMENTS performance
– TIRESIAS – performance in collaboration with ITHAK & Heather Ware
– THE MIRROR’S EDGE [working title] – new dance production, started at POLO
CULTURAL BOAVISTA, Lisbon (Pt)
– WILD HORSE RUN, dance performance [touring into 2017] produced at Derida Dance Centre, in collab w IVAN SHOPOV [Balkansky | Cooh] – music
– AT THE THRESHOLD OF YOUR SKIN – collaboration w Abhilash Ningappa
– “BLACK ASH” solo dance performance @ Commedia-Futura (DE) + Tipperary Dance Platform
– PRISM @ BLACKBOX FESTIVAL & Almada Dance Festival
– “LAYERS OF NOW”, Installation Performance @ Venice International Performance Art Week.
– ERDE @ THE BLACK BOX FESTIVAL, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
– ART TRANSFORMATION LAB’13 organized by TRANSFORMA, Portugal
– PRISM, solo dance peformance @ “Mouvements sur la Ville #5” Montpellier
– Cambridge Sustainability Residency organized by Anglia Ruskin University
SELECTED WORKING EXPERIENCES as DANCER
2018 – THE NIGHTINGALE AND THE ROSE opera – John O’Brien, Philip Connaughton
2016 – 2017 – THE NONSENSE SOCIETY with Jasper van Luijk / KORZO Productions
2016 – ARCHITECT OF SELFDESTRUCTION, project with Abhilash Ningappa for NunOff Festival BCN
2015 – TRINITY with Marje-Leen Hirvonen (De)
– MULTICOLOUR by Aymeric Aude, produced by Introdans & Generale Oost, Arnhem (Nl)
– CASCADE DANCE THEATER, Cardiff, Wales
– Im Freien Fall Dance Theatre Production with Commedia-Futura (De) – performed in to 2015
– Before the Storm Breaks with DMT, The Hague
2011 – 2013
– BRILLIANT CORNERS with EMANUEL GAT DANCE, premiere at e.g.: Biennale Venice, June further performances at: ADF American Dance Festival, Montpellier Danse, Tanz im August Berlin, Saddler’s Wells London, Trafo Budapest, Theatre de la Ville Paris, Gessnerallee, Zurich, STUK Kunstcentrum Leuven.
2010-2012 – two solos for United-C (Nl)
2009 – SILENT BALLET with EMANUEL GAT DANCE, performances at e.g: Biennale Venice, Lincoln Centre Festival N.Y.
2021 – BELE BELTZA touring various festivals, awarded the PEARL ARTIST PRICE at POOL Tanzfilmfestival + HONORABLE MENTION at CINEDANZA festival.
2020 – SILENT FRAGMENTS: AWARD FOR BEST FILM (CINEDANZA, Modena)
+ BEST CHOREOGRAPHY (InShadow Lisbon)
– BELE BELTZA – dance film, premiere at ViDEOSKiN Festival, Nepal
– SILENT FRAGMENTS, dance film | Installation produced @ MALAKTA Art Factory
– TUONELA, dance film produced during MALAKTA Dancefilm Lab 2018
– THE PIER, footage shot at MALAKTA Dancefilm Lab 2015
2015 – back-wash, dance film produced at Malakta A.I.R, Finland
2014 – TALES IN BLACK AND WHITE, video installation @ CIDADELA | CASCAIS ART DISTRICT
2013 – THIRST a movie / video installation created for EEA Grants Conference , 7-9 Oct Lisbon
– TRACES OF A FLUID SENSE, movie, produced for SHINANO Primitive Sense Art Festival,Japan
– INTERBEING video installation @ exhibition DEW LINE, Changes Space Gallery, Cambridge U.K.
2012 – IKARIA, film produced in Alentejo Portugal
INTERPLAY | TEACHING WORK
Over the last years I’ve been teaching professional dancers at different festivals and in various studios and production houses internationally, amongst which:
Micadanse Studio May B Paris, TREenit!Ry Tampere Finland, HJS Amsterdam, micadanses Paris, LARVA Guadalajara Mexico, TROIS CL Luxembourg, marameo Berlin, Natya Ballet Center Delhi India, Avayava Dance Festival Pune India, ZAIK Quartier am Hafen, Cologne, LaborGras Berlin, Tipperary Dance Festival Ireland
PROFESSIONAL DANCE EDUCATION
2003 – 2007 ArtEZ Dance Academy, Arnhem
2002 – 2003 IWANSON Dance Academy, Munich
2001 – 2002 SEAD Experimental Academy of Dance, Salzburg
FURTHER EDUCATION | QUALIFICATIONS
– Nuad Bo-Rarn, Ancient Thai Yoga Massage – CERTIFICATE
– various methods of bodywork, e.g.: REIKI and Continuum Movement
– COACHING MASTER 1 & 2 + Intensive on Business, “Consciousness Coaching”
– CLASSICAL SING TRAINING with Johannes Effertz-Wolff
– ACTING LESSONS and coaching with Claudia Heu
– Highschool graduation cum laude with focus on philosophy and fine arts (painting / drawing / photography)