BIOGRAPHY + ARTISTIC STATEMENT
POETIC PHYSICALITY – VISUAL POETRY
[ -> scroll down for CURRICULUM VITAE ->> CHOREOGRAPHIC WORK / FILM / DANCE WORK / EXPOSITION LIST / TEACHING / EDUCATION ]
I am a choreographer, dancer and film maker. Choosing the human body as one main channel of expression I create dance and interdisciplinary performances and producing short films. Be it my passion as performer / choreographer or my visual work / short films, my work is a celebration of the life force within us human beings.
As dancer, I have been touring internationally with my own work as well as in the performances and projects of other choreographers – e.g.: Jasper van Luijk (@Korzo Productions), Cascade Dance Theater, Emanuel Gat Dance, United C, Suzy Blok and toured major venues and festivals worldwide. My own work having been presented at festivals internationally.
Coming from the dance world and being a natural mover, my sensorial and kinetic experience and perception is essential to my creative path, exploration and who I am. I love to play with multiple layers, to journey between the narrative / rational and the abstract / sensorial. Working with film opens up a special dimension and allows me to merge the physical / kinetic with the visual. A very interesting place of exploration is for me where performance + film meet, exploring the medium of video and installation.
In whichever way it might have expressed itself at different times, my innate calling is to seek, create with and give a voice to the power which permeates life, expressing itself within nature and, equally, our core as human beings, through our power, our compassion and ability to overcome and to love.
Image, film, performance, I want to share ‘experiences’, a journey, to open up a window onto a universe and – an aspect of – the world. My exploration is influenced by a love for the poetic and fascination for the mystic dimension of life, a maybe purist but definitely not sterile aesthetic, the love for adventure, travel and a calling to explore our connection with nature and the earth.
This is my political act: to create work that is embracing life and life affirming.
Beyond statement or narrative, I strongly believe that as artists we can open a space through which a creative, transformative force can speak, that lets us possibly experience the grace that’s at the core of our existence.
My films are being presented in festivals world wide, of which SILENT FRAGMENTS has won two awards for Best Film @ Cinedanza Italy 2020 and Best Choreography @ InShadow 2020 and is being presented at this year’s edition of CINEDANS in Amsterdam. My last work BELE BELTZA has received the PEARL ARTIST PRIZE at POOL Festival ’21 and an honorable mention at Cinedanza and various awards for Best Experimental / Art Film. Further, I am exploring the medium of video / installation in my performances.
Hackl cherishes the poetry within the physicality of the human body. Her artistic practice is inspired by cross-pollination, the alchemy of interdisciplinary work. Her understanding of dance & movement got formed and enriched by conventional techniques as much as somatic and sensorial work.
She has danced with companies & choreographers like Jasper van Luijk/SHIFFT (@Korzo Productions), Cascade Dance Theater, Emanuel Gat Dance, United C, Suzy Blok and toured major venues and festivals worldwide. Her own work has been presented internationally, in Europe/Scandinavia, North/Central America, S/E Asia & India.
Andrea Hackl is an award winning film maker and her dance films have been presented in festivals world wide. Her short film Silent Fragments has won two awards for Best Film [Cinedanza Festival, Modena Italy] and Best Choreography [InShadow Festival, Lisbon Portugal]. BELE BELTZA was awarded the PEARL ARTIST PRIZE at Pool Tazfilmfestival and has received many other awards as Best Experimental and Art Film. Equally ESISTENZA x GIOIA is being widely presented at festival and has already received 2 awards as best WOMEN FILM.
She’s been exploring projections and the medium of video installation in her choreographic work. Regarding both, her performances as well as work as video artist, the visual composition is an essential aspect for her to explore and work with.
MOUNTAINS AND THE OUTDOORS
Being an athlete, an outdoor as well as mountain lover and deeply inspired by nature, textures and the sensorial, she’s searching for new ways to combine her biggest passions: Nature, film and visual work as well as the primal and poetic power of dance and the human body.
-> stay tuned and follow on Instagram
-> stay connected via Facebook
– DREAMER, interdisciplinary performance project with collaborators, performance with ANTOINE VIARD for INEQUILIBRIO FESTIVAL, Castilgioncello (It)
– PRIMORDIAL ANATOMY – somatic / visual project and investigation in the theme of water
– NACHHALL – performance with the Mexican musician and composer Jerónimo Naranjo
– BLACK ASH, dance production, premiered at FIDCDMX – Festival Internacional de la Danza Contemporanea de la Ciudad de Mexico 2022
– PEARL ARTIST PRICE at POOL 21 festival Berlin
– collaboration with Antoine Viard, performances with Collectif COAX, Paris Fr
– ongoing presentations of OF RAVENS AND GODS @ TwentyOne Gallery (London)
+ BLACK BOX GENESIS ART SPACE (Finland) + featured in Dans Magazine (May)
– OF RAVENS AND GOODS, dance film and multimedia project in frame of 3 solo long distance
treks into Jura mountains, around the Montblanc massif and across the Pyrenees.
– collaboration with Hernán Samá [saxophon] and other Amsterdam based performers
-> presentation in frame of the live streamed performance series
Boiler Room Sessions, hosted by Iris van Peppen
– OF RAVENS AND GODS, dance film project [NL, FR, ESP, CH]
– RECLAIMING THE FUTURE | GUERILLA DANCE in response to the pandemic
–> danced love declarations across the city of Amsterdam.
– CROSSING WAVES collaboration with Antoine Viard (music), Paris
– VOICE new research project on womanhood & bodymemory, residency at Schloss Broellin
2018 – DEPTH OF SHADOW | SILENT FRAGMENTS performance
– TIRESIAS – performance in collaboration with ITHAK & Heather Ware
– THE MIRROR’S EDGE [working title] – new dance production, started at POLO
CULTURAL BOAVISTA, Lisbon (Pt)
– WILD HORSE RUN, dance performance [touring into 2017] produced at Derida Dance Centre, in collab w IVAN SHOPOV [Balkansky | Cooh] – music
– AT THE THRESHOLD OF YOUR SKIN – collaboration w Abhilash Ningappa
– “BLACK ASH” solo dance performance @ Commedia-Futura (DE) + Tipperary Dance Platform
– PRISM @ BLACKBOX FESTIVAL & Almada Dance Festival
– “LAYERS OF NOW”, Installation Performance @ Venice International Performance Art Week.
– ERDE @ THE BLACK BOX FESTIVAL, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
– ART TRANSFORMATION LAB’13 organized by TRANSFORMA, Portugal
– PRISM, solo dance peformance @ “Mouvements sur la Ville #5” Montpellier
– Cambridge Sustainability Residency organized by Anglia Ruskin University
SELECTED WORKING EXPERIENCES as DANCER
2018 – THE NIGHTINGALE AND THE ROSE opera – John O’Brien, Philip Connaughton
2016 – 2017 – THE NONSENSE SOCIETY with Jasper van Luijk / KORZO Productions
2016 – ARCHITECT OF SELFDESTRUCTION, project with Abhilash Ningappa for NunOff Festival BCN
2015 – TRINITY with Marje-Leen Hirvonen (De)
– MULTICOLOUR by Aymeric Aude, produced by Introdans & Generale Oost, Arnhem (Nl)
– CASCADE DANCE THEATER, Cardiff, Wales
– Im Freien Fall Dance Theatre Production with Commedia-Futura (De) – performed in to 2015
– Before the Storm Breaks with DMT, The Hague
2011 – 2013
– BRILLIANT CORNERS with EMANUEL GAT DANCE, premiere at e.g.: Biennale Venice, June further performances at: ADF American Dance Festival, Montpellier Danse, Tanz im August Berlin, Saddler’s Wells London, Trafo Budapest, Theatre de la Ville Paris, Gessnerallee, Zurich, STUK Kunstcentrum Leuven.
2010-2012 – two solos for United-C (Nl)
2009 – SILENT BALLET with EMANUEL GAT DANCE, performances at e.g: Biennale Venice, Lincoln Centre Festival N.Y.
– NEW WORK in progress, production start during a residency at Bohemia Farmstudios (Czech Republic)
– A MOUNTAIN PORTRAIT – short film in collaboration with the actress Elisa Pol
– ESISTENZA x GIOIA – dance film, awarded Best Experimental Film and BEST WOMEN FILM, presented at Dance Days Chania, Cinedanza and other international festivals.
2021 – BELE BELTZA touring various festivals, awarded the PEARL ARTIST PRICE at POOL Tanzfilmfestival + HONORABLE MENTION at CINEDANZA festival.
2020 – SILENT FRAGMENTS: AWARD FOR BEST FILM (CINEDANZA, Modena)
+ BEST CHOREOGRAPHY (InShadow Lisbon)
– BELE BELTZA – dance film, premiere at ViDEOSKiN Festival, Nepal
– SILENT FRAGMENTS, dance film | Installation produced @ MALAKTA Art Factory
– TUONELA, dance film produced during MALAKTA Dancefilm Lab 2018
– THE PIER, footage shot at MALAKTA Dancefilm Lab 2015
2015 – back-wash, dance film produced at Malakta A.I.R, Finland
2014 – TALES IN BLACK AND WHITE, video installation @ CIDADELA | CASCAIS ART DISTRICT
2013 – THIRST a movie / video installation created for EEA Grants Conference , 7-9 Oct Lisbon
– TRACES OF A FLUID SENSE, movie, produced for SHINANO Primitive Sense Art Festival,Japan
– INTERBEING video installation @ exhibition DEW LINE, Changes Space Gallery, Cambridge U.K.
2012 – IKARIA, film produced in Alentejo Portugal
INTERPLAY | TEACHING WORK
Over the last years I’ve been teaching professional dancers at different festivals and in various studios and production houses internationally, amongst which:
Micadanse Studio May B Paris, TREenit!Ry Tampere Finland, HJS Amsterdam, micadanses Paris, LARVA Guadalajara Mexico, TROIS CL Luxembourg, marameo Berlin, Natya Ballet Center Delhi India, Avayava Dance Festival Pune India, ZAIK Quartier am Hafen, Cologne, LaborGras Berlin, Tipperary Dance Festival Ireland
Nov 2022 – DREAMER / Of Ravens and Gods – exposition at 4Bid Gallery
Jan 2022 – Honourable Mention of ‘Gosainkunda’, photo from Nepal series in ‘Adventure’ competition on Artrepreneur.com
Nov 2021 – “Rewilding, in search of a new Myth”, print of series part of the international photography EXPO – INSIDE/OUT, Pokhara, Nepal
Aug 2021 – OF RAVENS AND GODS | VIRTUAL EXPO hosted by BLACKBOX GENESIS -> presented in frame of Vaasa Art Nigh + artist talk / book presentation at Malakta Art Factory (Fi)
May 2021 – ‘Rewilding, in search of a a new Myth’, photo series, Semi-finalist in the “In The Wild” art competition and featured in the expo organized by The Artist Lounge and Kinghouse Gallery (UK)
May 2021 – OF RAVENS AND GODS featured in DansMagazine, Netherlands.
Mar 2021 – selected prints of OF RAVENS AND GODS featured in the online expo: ENDURANCE, @ TwentyOne Gallery
Feb 2021 – RECLAIMING THE FUTURE, Haiku / Photography Triptych, featured in Dance Art Journal
Nov 2020 – ‘Of Ravens and Gods’ featured on emptyroom.art
Sept 2019 – TALES IN BLACK AND WHITE Installation, presented at art event hosted by the Austrian Cultural Forum, The Hague
Mar 2018 – BLACK VORTEX audio visual installation at interdisciplinary art event at Petersburg Art Space, Berlin
Sept 2015 – TALES IN BLACK AND WHITE, video installation presented in frame of Konstrundan @ Art Factory Malakta (Fi)
Aug 2014 – TALES IN BLACK AND WHITE, video installation, presented at Cidadela Art District, Cascais (Pt)
Sept 2013 – THIRST video installation for the international EEA Grants / Norway Grants conference on climate change, Lisbon (Pt)
May 2013 – INTERBEING video installation on water and connection,
THE DEW LINE exposition at Changing Spaces Gallery, Cambridge (UK)
PROFESSIONAL DANCE EDUCATION
2003 – 2007 ArtEZ Dance Academy, Arnhem
2002 – 2003 IWANSON Dance Academy, Munich
2001 – 2002 SEAD Experimental Academy of Dance, Salzburg
FURTHER EDUCATION | QUALIFICATIONS
– Nuad Bo-Rarn, Ancient Thai Yoga Massage – CERTIFICATE
– various methods of bodywork, e.g.: REIKI and Continuum Movement
– COACHING MASTER 1 & 2 + Intensive on Business, “Consciousness Coaching”
– CLASSICAL SING TRAINING with Johannes Effertz-Wolff
– ACTING LESSONS and coaching with Claudia Heu
– Highschool graduation cum laude with focus on philosophy and fine arts (painting / drawing / photography)